Honorable Theresa A. Robichaux

Clerk of Court


IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS (Please scroll down for ALL announcements)

Please return to this website to view any updated information

Effective Monday, May 18, 2020, our office will be open to the public with normal hours of operation from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday.  Office hours on Fridays will be 8:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m.  These hours will remain as is until further notice.  Occupancy in the Clerk’s office will be limited to no more than 25% of the Fire Marshall’s allowed occupancy rate.  Anyone entering the Clerk's office must wear a face mask while in the office of the Clerk of Court.  This is for the continued protection of my staff, as well as customers.  Thank you for your cooperation with this request and your patience during this time.


Our office will continue to issue marriage licenses and birth certificates by appointment only Monday thru Friday.  Please call 985-873-8376 for more information or to make an appointment.


We can no longer accept appointments for passport applications effective March 18, 2020.  Once we have been notified that we can resume issuance, that information will be posted to this site. You can go to www.travel.state.gov for more information.



For all Felony court beginning Monday, May 18, 2020, Division "B", please click here.



By order of the Louisiana Supreme Court, all court appearances have been canceled for the week of May 11 through May 15, 2020. However, all persons scheduled to appear in court before Judge Arceneaux during that week must report to Judge Arceneaux‘s courtroom on June 1, 2020, between the hours of 9:00 AM and noon, instead. You will receive no other notice. When you appear on June 1, proper health and safety measures will be observed.


ALL Jury duty is cancelled through June 30, 2020. 


We appreciate your cooperation and patience during this time!



Appeals Department

1. How much does an appeal costs?

The cost of preparing an appeal to the Court of Appeal varies depending on the size of the record.   The more voluminous the record, the more the costs.

2. How long does it take for an appeal to be decided?

There is no set time by the Court of Appeal for making a decision on an appeal that has been lodged with them.   It is not unusual for an appeal to take six (6) months or longer for a decision.   Some decisions take a year or longer.

3. Why hasn’t my appeal been filed with the Court of Appeal yet?

There are many reasons why an appeal may not have been sent to the Court of Appeal. The most common are:

  • The Clerk of Court’s Office is awaiting all transcripts to be transcribed and filed by the Court Reporter.

  • All costs to lodge the appeal have not been paid by the appellant.

Birth Certificate Department

1. Do you accept checks or credit/debit cards for payment of Birth Certificates/Birth cards?

No. We accept cash only.

Bookkeeping Department

1. Why am I being billed in a certain Civil case?

Typically you will receive a bill from the Clerk of Court’s Office because you have an open account with a balance due OR you have been ordered by an order of the Court to pay costs.

2. How much does it cost to file a dismissal in a Civil matter?

The fee, as set by statute for dismissal in a Civil matter, varies.   Please call the Clerk’s Office @ (985) 868-5660 and ask for the Bookkeeping Department.

3. Can I get a printout of costs in my case?

Yes, you can get a printout of the costs incurred in a case and the balance due.   Simply call the Clerk’s Office @ (985) 868-5660 and ask for the Bookkeeping Department.

4. Can I get the costs of one particular party in a Civil matter?

Yes, you can request the costs of any particular party in any Civil matter.   Simply call the Clerk’s Office @ (985) 868-5660 and ask for the Bookkeeping Department.

5. Can I find out the total costs remaining in a Civil matter?

Yes, by calling the Clerk’s Office @ (985) 868-5660 and asking for the Bookkeeping Department.

Civil Processing Department

1. Do you have divorce and custody forms for filing in proper person?

No. The Clerk's office does not provide forms.   You must provide your own petition for divorce and/or custody matters.

2. Can the Clerk's office help me to fill out my Domestic Abuse Petition or other forms?

No. The Clerk's office cannot assist with the filling out of the Petition for Domestic Abuse or any other documents.

3. Can you tell me the name of the Judge my case has been allotted to and/or the date of my hearing?

Yes. Simply call the Clerk's office @ 985-868-5660 and ask for the Civil Processing Department and a clerk can give you that information.

4. Can you tell me the name of the attorneys representing the other parties in my case?

Yes. We can give you the names of all parties of record.

5. I have a question about an adoption. Can you help me?

No. Adoptions are sealed records and only the attorneys of record in the Adoption are allowed to view these records.   The parties in the Adoption, including the child who was adopted can not view the record or be given information about the case without a Court order.

6. Why can't I read the minutes of court from my home computer when I do an online search?

As of now, minutes of court are not yet available for online viewing, but should become available in the future.

7. Can your department give me legal advice?

No. The Clerk's office cannot give legal advice of any kind.   Please consult with an attorney about your legal matters.

For further assistance please call our Civil Processing Department @ 985-868-5660.

Civil Records Department

1. How far back do our original records date?

Original records are available from 1822.

2. Can I view a record from 100 years ago?

Yes, you can view any record from 1822 through the current date.   All records must be viewed in the Office of the Clerk of Court.

3. Can I take a record home with me to look through?

No records of any kind are permitted to be removed from the Office of the Clerk of Court.

Criminal Processing Department

1. Does the Clerk of Court’s Office provide Motions for Expungement?

The Clerk's office has the approved forms available for download on this site effective August 12, 2015.   Please go to the Forms link on the home page and scroll down to Expungements or click here.  If you need help or have other questions about expungements, please call the Expungement hotline @ 504-345-8911.   Our office cannot give you legal advice on filing an Expungement.

2. If I miss my Court appearance, can the Clerk’s Office assign me another Court date?

No. You must contact the District Attorney’s Office for a new Court date.

3. Is there a charge to issue a subpoena in a Criminal matter?

There is no charge for issuance of subpoenas of 5 or less in criminal misdemeanor matters and no charge for issuance of subpoenas of 15 or less in criminal felony cases.

4. How much do you charge for a copy of a document in a Criminal record?

There is a charge of $1.00 per page.   If you need the copy certified, there is an additional charge of $5.00.

5. Is there a charge for a criminal records search?

Yes, the charge for a criminal search is $20.00 per name.   However, if the search is for background checks for apartment rentals or for the School Board Office, you must have these done at the Sheriff's Office.

6. Can I file a request for subpoenas or motion by fax in a criminal matter?

No. Our office does not accept fax filing in criminal, non-support, or juvenile matters.

Conveyance / Copy Department

1. How far back do Conveyance records date?

Our records date back to 1814 to the present.

2. When requesting a search of a Bill of Sale or other recorded document, what information should I provide?

It would be very helpful to provide the name(s) of the parties involved and the year, or approximate year, the transaction occurred.

3. Do you accept credit cards for payment of copies?

Yes, our office now accepts credit cards.   You may also pay with cash. However, our office does not accept checks.


1. When do you have to be re-certified as an Election Commissioner?

When you initially become a certified Commissioner you are certified for the term of the Clerk who conducted the certification school.   Once the Clerk’s term ends you must be certified for the next term by the incoming Clerk of Court.   All current certified Commissioners will be notified by mail of any upcoming classes. For more information contact the Elections Department.

2. What are the commissioners paid for serving in an election?

A certified Commissioner is paid $200.00 per election worked.   A certified Commissioner- in-Charge is paid $250.00 per election worked.   If a Commissioner-in-Charge handles more than one precinct, the pay is $300.00 per election worked.

3. Where can I find out where I vote?

You may contact the Registrar of Voters Office at (985) 868-6802 to find out where you are registered to vote.   If you have internet access you may go to www.geauxvote.com to find this information.

4. Where do I go to Early Vote?

Early Voting is conducted at the Registrar of Voters Office which is located on the first floor of the Government Tower building at the corner of Gabasse and Main St.   You may call the Registrar of voters Office at (985) 873-6533 to find out the dates for Early Voting in an election.

5. Where do I get information about qualifying for public office?

You may contact the Elections Department at (985) 868-7113.   We will be happy to answer any questions you have about qualifying, including qualifications, qualifying fee, dates for qualifying, and the term of office.   You may also visit the Elections Department which is located at 415 Goode St., Houma, LA.   You may also go online to www.geauxvote.com to find this information.

6. Where do I get results from previous elections?

You may contact the Elections Department at (985) 868-6802. We will be happy to research the information you need.   You may also visit the Election Department which is located at 415 Goode St., Houma, LA.   You may also click here to direct you to the Secretary of State's office for more information.

Jury Department

1. How does a name get into the juror system?

There are two ways your name is placed for selection as a prospective juror:

  • Through the Registrar of Voters as a registered voter.

  • Through the Department of Motor Vehicles as a licensed driver.

2. Are there any exemptions which would disqualify me to serve as a juror?

The Supreme Court of Louisiana has established certain categories of persons who may claim an exemption from jury service. These are:

  • Persons who have served as a Juror during a period of two years immediately preceding their report date.

  • All persons seventy years of age or older.

One must expressly claim an exemption.   It is not automatically granted.   If you wish to claim one of these exemptions please contact the District Court Coordinator at 985-873-6589.

3. How much do jurors get paid?

Jurors are paid $25.00 per day and .16 cents per mile each way.

Prospective Jurors are paid $25.00 per day and .16 cents per mile each way.

Witnesses in Court are paid as well.   The pay for a witness is $3.00 per day in a Criminal matter and .10 cents per mile each way.   In a Civil matter witnesses are paid $8.00 per day and .08 cents per mile each way.

All payments are issued through Terrebonne Parish Consolidated Government (Finance Department). Payment generally takes about 2-4 weeks to process.

4. When I report for Jury Duty, how long can I expect to stay?

When you are summoned for Jury Duty it can be for more than just that one day.   However, that is determined by each individual case and the type of case (Criminal, Civil or Grand Jury).   You should be prepared to report for the week or until discharged.

Marriage License Department

1. When applying for a Marriage License, can I use a copy of a Birth Certificate?

No. We cannot accept copies of a Birth Certificate. You must have a State certified Birth Certificate with the official seal.

2. Do you accept checks or credit/debit cards for payment of Marriage Licenses?

No. We accept cash only.

Mortgage Department

1. How much will it cost to cancel a judgment that has been recorded?

Costs for cancellation of a judgment should be obtained from the court jurisdiction of its original rendition. (i.e.   If a Judgment was issued out of the 32nd Judicial District Court, cost may be obtained by calling our office and asking for the Bookkeeping Department.   If a Judgment was rendered out of the City Court of Houma, you must call City Court @ (985) 868-4232 for court and cancellation cost.   You should have the docket number ready for the Clerk to quote you fees on that particular case.

2. How do I proceed in ordering a Property Bond to use to bail someone out of jail?

You may proceed in the following manner:

  • A Certificate of Ownership must be obtained from the Terrebonne Parish Assessor's Office and delivered to the Mortgage Department to begin the process of issuing the Mortgage Certificate for the property bond.

  • The order will be taken for the property bond Mortgage Certificate and you will be informed as to what time your order will be ready for pick up. Any property bonds ordered after 1 p.m. will be available on the next business day.

  • All Mortgage Certificates issued for property bonds must be prepaid at the time of ordering.

3. What do I need to bring to the Clerk’s office to cancel my mortgage?

You will need to bring the original cancellation instrument that meets state statutes that you received from your bank or lending institution after you paid your mortgage off.

4. Can you tell me if there are any outstanding liens on a certain piece of property or name?

Our office is prohibited from giving that information verbally by telephone.   You may either order a mortgage certificate that our staff will prepare or you may choose to research this information on your own.

5. Can I obtain recording information on a particular document filed in the mortgage records by telephone?

Our office will not quote any recording information on any document by telephone. You must submit that request in writing or visit the office to obtain that information.

6. How much will it cost to cancel my mortgage?

Cost for cancellation of your mortgage will be determined in accordance with the instrument sent to you from your lending institution.   Please refer to the fee chart on this website for pricing.

7. Why should I have to pay for the cancellation of my mortgage?   Shouldn’t my mortgage company pay for it?

This is an issue that has to be addressed between you and your mortgage company.   Some companies mail it directly to our office with the correct filing fees for cancellation.   Other companies send the release to the mortgagor and inform them to bring it in for cancellation.   When the mortgagor brings in the cancellation they have to pay for the cancellation at the time it is presented to us for cancellation and recording.

Passports Department

1. How long does it take for my Passport to arrive in the mail?

Currently, Passport book processing takes 4-6 weeks.   However, you may pay an additional $75.45 (expedited fee of $60.00 plus return overnight postage of $15.45) to receive your expedited Passport book within 2-3 weeks.

The expedited fee of $75.45 should be combined with the Passport book fee of $110 or $80.00 and paid by a single check or money order to the U. S. Department of State.

For more information on Passports, please click on the following link:



1. How long from the time you receive my document will it be recorded and mailed back?

If the document has the proper funds and needs to be filed in Terrebonne Parish, the document is recorded on the date of receipt.  If a copy of the document being recorded is requested, it will be mailed out the following business day.

2. Can I record a copy of the original document?

In Terrebonne Parish the Clerk of Court’s Office is the holder of the original documents presented for recording, so the original document should be recorded.    In those instances where a copy is recorded the document is stamped “NOT ORIGINAL SIGNATURES” at the time of recording.

Many states record documentation and return the original to the party.   However, in Terrebonne Parish we are the holder of original acts.   This also allows us to do certifications on the original documents that we hold.   We cannot certify a copy to be a TRUE copy of the original if we don’t have the original.

3. Does my document need to be recorded? Can’t I just keep it in a safe place?

According to Louisiana statutes, Original Acts such as transfers, donations, sales, mortgages, etc. should be recorded.   If it is not recorded we have no way of knowing that the transaction has occurred and thus cannot maintain accurate records. It also serves to put any other interested party on notice that the transaction has occurred.

4. Why is my information being published in the newspaper?

The Clerk of Court’s Office does not publish or control what information is published in the local newspaper.   Certain entities or contract companies retrieve their information from the documentation that is filed in our office. Except for Juvenile matters, Adoptions, and records sealed by Court Order, our records are public.   Therefore, we have no control over publication.

5. Who can pick up a will if it is being held at the Clerk’s Office for safekeeping?

Our office offered the safekeeping of wills as a courtesy to the public in the past.   We no longer offer this service. All wills brought into our office are now recorded in the Wills book and at that time become public record.  If you would like your will to remain private then you should have some other place for safekeeping other than the Clerk of Court's office.  Wills previously filed for safekeeping are held in a vault that is not subject to public access.  If you brought in your will for safekeeping in the past, you (with proper identification) will be the only person who can remove it.   If a will was brought in by a local attorney then that attorney or designee can remove the will.  If the person is deceased and the will was not brought in by an attorney, a Court Order will have to be prepared, signed by a Judge, and presented to the Clerk’s Office to remove the will from our office.  

6. What is the difference between a stamped copy and a certified copy?

The stamped and certified copy have all of the same basic recording information such as file number, date, time, book number and page.   The only difference is that the certified copy has a seal on it with the signature of a Deputy Clerk.

7. What does your office consider a conformed copy?

A conformed copy is a copy that has all of the same basic recording information and is an exact duplicate of the original.   But, it does NOT have the certification of the Clerk of Court’s Office.

8. Do I need to sign the clergy book in order to perform marriages?

If a person intends to perform marriages in Terrebonne Parish, that person is required to bring proof of ordination and sign our clergy book. They must come in person with proper identification.

9. When pricing a document for recording, why am I charged for all those extra names – maiden names, formerly known as, etc?

According to Louisiana statutes, our documents are indexed by name.   All names that are listed on a document are indexed and there is a cost of $5.00 for each name.   We index all names relative to a document to include maiden names as well as doing business as (dba) and formally known as (fka).  All of the known names are indexed so that when a records search is performed ALL variations of an individual’s name appear, making the search more accurate.

10. What is the smallest font on a document that your office will accept?

The type size shall not be less than 8 point.

11. Do you have margin requirements for recording?

The first page of a document can not have less than a two inch margin on the top and one inch on the sides and bottom. 

Go to Home

Back To Top